Magnolia, TX is situated in "Flash Flood Alley," one of North America’s most frequently flooded areas. Flash floods occur as a result of heavy rain and are hazardous to people and property. Homeowners in this area must take precautions to prepare for these unexpected and deadly events.
How Can Magnolia Residents Prepare For Flash Floods?
Flash floods start fast, but there are steps homeowners can take to protect their family, pets, and property in the event of a flash flood.
- Always keep a flood preparedness kit on hand. This bag should contain basic supplies that you may require in the event of an emergency evacuation. Make sure this kit has a scanned copy of any crucial documents, such as your driver’s license and mortgage. Consider keeping a change of clothing, 2-3 days worth of medication, and some shelf-stable food in your kit. Also, don’t forget any special needs items such as baby formula and pet food.
- Make an evacuation plan for everyone in your family, including pets. Make sure that every family member knows exactly what to do if a flash flood warning is issued and hold practice runs so that everything goes smoothly if it needs to be followed in an emergency.
- Consider investing in flood-mitigation measures for your home, such as foundation elevation and basement sealing.
- When you expect flooding, place sandbags around your home to keep water out.
- Invest in flood insurance from a reputable company, such as Christian Insurance Agency, to protect your investment and belongings.
Need Flood Insurance?
Reach out to Christian Insurance Agency today and speak with an agent serving the greater Magnolia, TX community. Our agents understand your local coverage options and are eager to assist you in making the best decision to safeguard your family’s future.